Thursday, November 3, 2011

Some Times People Don't Undrstand





            One of my friends asked me yesterday, “were have you been Noah?” which I get this question quite frequently from friends in the industry and from my friends that are not. I answered back Tulum Mexico, South Carolina, LA, and Palm Springs lately. He shrugged and let a sarcastic sigh out, “ I wish I had such a hard job.”

             As many of you hairdressers out their that freelance full time or teach or are on the road allot traveling for work understand, it’s no vacation even if there are models in bikinis and you might even be in really exotic places or fancy hotels. I have encountered this disillusion from my personal friends and acquaintances I’ve meet over the 18 years of doing what I do. I don’t expect them to understand and to be honest most of the time I don’t even try to explain. Instead I sigh with them and say, “ Your right, I thank God I love what I do and get to do it.” But the other day when my friend, that is a painter asked me that question, I paused in my sub conscious and made a mental note that maybe it would be a good idea to blog about what it does entail and why it is far beyond any were near a vacation.
             So here goes.  Hair and the model or models are the first one’s up on location.  Of course almost 90% of the time the account wants sunrise as one of the shot’s and I totally understand why. With how the sun gives that,” Golden Light” from sunrise and sunset it makes everyone look amazing and you only have it for a hour and half or so.  Now even if you’re not in a desert or beach area even in Rome Italy that “ Golden Light “ is what they want for their image. So that means usually I am doing hair in the dark from as earlier as 3:45am  - 5:00 am max since most sunrises are around 5:30 am – 6:00am. Sometimes especially on the beach places that are quite remote I am with generator in toe outside my hotel room if it is in a place were the electricity can’t take how much the voltage is needed from my blow dryer, hot tools and the lights the photo assistants have to set up the night before so I can see what I am doing in the dark.  As you can imagine, this also causes some anger to honey mooners and vacationers in that particular location with a generator at that time in the am on their special escape from their reality. I become such a favorite person of those guests of the hotel.
            After that we shoot and shoot and then the sun around 1-3pm get’s so high and straight down on the model that it makes the youngest of youth have bags underneath their eyes and shadows cast every were they shouldn’t be. So unless the photographer and account wants to capture images they want under shade or scrim the entire area we want to shoot we usually take lunch and a break. We get touchups done after that so we can start again around 3pm and we continue to shoot tell sunset which depending what part of the world you are can be any were from 5:45 – around 7 pm.
            So that is the run down as you can see it’s not all that it’s painted out to be on reality TV shows. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment