Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Your Voice


I often say that with career’s I view how we shape them as a pie. How and what you do in your career you cut up into the slices you want. Of course the hardest part is deciding how you want to slice your pie up. I find a lot of the time we view other people’s choices of their pie cut up to be something we desire for are own. But through time and searching I have found that the best way is to find out what makes you happy and content. Also don’t put all your egg’s in one basket or “ most of your pie in one slice” as I say.
            I found out about fourteen years ago in my career that spans twenty-two years that I wanted the biggest portion of my pie to be freelance. I still have a slice in education and of course to keep in touch a very small slice behind the chair, even if that means in studio or hotel room’s cutting my coworkers.  Just like anything in life what you get you must give up some stuff to achieve it. Just like were you live you always give up certain pleasures or wants to live in that city or country.  Let me explain. I live in NYC the best city for me in the world.  I give up space and time to live in this city in all aspects of my life from personal, to walking the street, commuting, shopping, with everything. But from this city, I get to have the most productive and inspiring and creative energy in my everyday life. It is the same with deciding I wanted my biggest slice of my career to be in freelance. I get to do what I love, travel the world, different people and environment daily, and get to put my voice in the hair I do for the company I am branding.  But I give up security of a big beauty company or salon. Also medical, regular payday, or “ what I call mail lotto”. The most difficult of all I think part of freelance dealing with being rejected ten times out of eleven. 

            My friend who is a actor were talking the other day about how hard rejection inside of a freelance world can be and how it is hard for people outside of a career path that haven’t chose that to understand.  The constant,” not this time” you hear from accounts, that your voice,” is not exactly right for what they are looking for”.  I know that there are an immense amount of jobs out there that people get a lot of rejections. By asking and listening to others with the same amount of rejections of their voice or talent in their work, I have found that we all deal with it differently. As for me I find empathy in knowing that we are all different and that our voice (our personal style) is as different as each snowflake is . That we get hired for certain jobs because our voice is what the account is looking for and what we bring to the table no one else can.
            What ever your career is and how you have sliced up your pie, whatever city you have decided to live in and make your life, I hope your voice speaks loud in all you do. And remember there is no other like you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment